How to find your Ideal Warehouse!
For most of us this time of the year is a festive season. But for businesses looking to grow and expand in the new year, it is the perfect opportunity to invest in Warehouses.
But before investing in a warehouse, it is a good idea to look into the features of the warehouse that are appealing to potential tenants:
The location of the warehouse is the most important factor to consider when investing. Whether you want to be close to your customers, or need access to the rail, highway or shipping ports, determining a good location for your warehouse is key.
The height of the warehouse known as clear height is an important factor to consider. Clear height refers to the distance between the floor and the ceiling before any obstruction comes in the way. This is essential for storing and stacking different forms of inventory. Similarly, the height of the main door is also a vital design element to consider when investing, especially for loading and off-loading activities.
3. Room for expansion
Additionally, most investors look for warehouses that are flexible and can accommodate growth and further expansions. Typically, popular warehouses tend to be 5,000 to 6,000 SQFT, and can accommodate for heavy machinery, storage, as well as room for growth.
4. Physical Liability
Moreover, it is important to determine the physical conditions of the warehouse. Undergoing a thorough inspection of the property can help tenants find out beforehand about any potential liability issues. For instance, if there are any water leakages which may destroy inventory. By ensuring that the physical conditions of the warehouse are maintained and well-kept will prompt tenants to stay for a long period of time.
5. Parking space and Road infrastructure
It is necessary to make sure you have ample parking space to accommodate for different sized vehicles as well as an external loading dock which allows delivery vehicles to park right next to the loading area and allow for efficient loading and off-loading. Additionally, access to good roads which are wide enough to accommodate larger vehicles is an important feature to remember when investing.
Another important feature when investing in a warehouse is the design element. The right design is what will bring you the quality long-term tenant.
- Mezzanine floors are typically built in warehouses due to their high ceilings and characteristic of being free-standing, semi-permanent structures. They are essential for storage space thus; it is imperative to note how much weight they can ideally hold.
- Additionally, washrooms and other amenities are usually featured towards the back of the warehouse providing more space in the front.
- Moreover, an authenticated fire system in the warehouse in order to prepare for any unforeseen incidents.
7. Common features and amenities
Being part of a business park, you get to enjoy some of these perks:
- Security- In order to safely and securely store valuable goods, one of the most important aspects of any business is security.
- Common Lighting- Street lighting which doubles up as a security feature and is covered in your service charge.
- Staff Canteen- It is important to provide employees with a convenient, cost-effective and hassle free, place to eat.
- Borehole Provision- Having access to an ample and adequate supply of water.
Use this as your checklist to help guide you in investing in your ideal warehouse. Whether you choose to rent or buy a warehouse, we have a variety of options for you to choose from! Have a look at the warehouses available on our website.